Witnessing documents

A Justice of the Peace may witness affidavits (an affidavit is a written statement sworn or affirmed to be true. Affidavits are used in ​court as evidence).

In the ACT an affidavit [Form 6.11] can be taken by a Justice of the Peace, a legal practitioner or a Notary Public for the ACT.  Further, an Australian diplomatic or consular representative is also entitled to take an affidavit in the country in which they are situated – Oaths and Affirmations Act 1984 s.11.

An affidavit taken in another jurisdiction can be taken before a person who is authorised to take an affidavit in that jurisdiction.  Applicants should refer to the relevant legislation in their state or territory.