Checklist for Lodging Civil Claims at the ACT Courts
Parties’ names must be consistent throughout headers in every document filed
(Form 2.1, the corresponding attachment & any other documents filed with the claim).
The Court Jurisdiction needs to be cited for Magistrates Court claims
Cause of action needs to be specified along with an accompanying attachment
- Documents are on A4 size white paper which is durable & clean (blemish free)
- All pages are either single sided or double sided, CANNOT be a mixture of both
- Clear margins on all sides; left side no smaller than 25mm & all other sides no smaller than 20mm
- If typed the font be no smaller than 1.8mm (10 point); if handwritten the writing MUST be legible & in permanent ink that when photocopied can produce a good quality copies
- If document is 50 pages or more they must be numbered consecutively; annexures & exhibits must also be numbered
- All pages & corresponding attachments are securely bound together– bulldog clips are NOT sufficient. Documents may be stapled, in a folder, bound or securely fastened by any other means as long as documents are secure. Tip: if you are unsure, ask yourself...if the document was dropped on the ground, is it likely any pages would fall out or become detached? If the answer is yes, then the document is NOT securely bound.
Filed by details are completed correctly
Physical address for service for ALL parties in the ACT has been provided within the Originating claim
Original signatures, corresponding names & dates
Document layout & presentation needs to comply with Rule 6103
Rule 6103 applies to all documents filed with the Court across all jurisdictions. This outlines:
Check ‘filed by details’ need to be inserted in the footer on the first page of each document; this should include name of party filing document, a physical address for service in the ACT & a contact phone number.
(at ‘Address for service of documents’ section at the back of Form 2.1). If the claim is to be served outside the ACT it must be accompanied by a SEPA Notice (Service and Execution of Process Act 1992).
The original set of documents must have original signatures,the corresponding person’s name needs to be printed next to, or underneath their signature. & the document needs to be dated. Documents are not accepted if a law firms name is used.