If you need urgent assistance or your safety is at immediate risk call the Police on 000

If you require information about available domestic violence services or emergency accommodation please call the Domestic Violence Crisis Service: at www.dvcs.org.au or on their 24hrs crisis line 02 6280 0900

Personal Protection and Workplace Protection Orders

A Personal Protection Order or a Workplace Protection Order may made by the Court to prohibit someone from engaging in personal violence towards an individual or for a workplace.

What is Personal Violence?

Personal Violence is behaviour by a person in relation another that may include:

  1. Physical violence or abuse;
  2. Sexual violence or abuse;
  3. Threatening behaviour;
  4. Stalking;
  5. Harassing, intimidating or offensive behaviour;
  6. Damaging property

In relation to a workplace this may include those matters in (a)-(e) in relation to a person at the workplace; or in relation to property damage at the workplace, that causes reasonable fear to a person at the workplace.

Who can apply?

You may apply for a:

If you have been affected by personal violence by the person against whom you seek a Personal Protection Order.  A person may apply for their child or children who ordinarily live with them.

If your children are over the age of 18 years old, they must make their own application unless they have impaired decision making ability.  If your adult child has impaired decision-making ability, you may be appointed as their litigation guardian.

A litigation guardian may apply on behalf of someone who has impaired decision making abilities.

A police officer may apply on behalf of an affected person.

Workplace Protection Order

If you are the employer for a workplace may make an application for a Workplace Protection Order.

How do I apply?

You can apply for a Personal Violence Order by filling in;

These forms must be lodged at the ACT Magistrates Court, Knowles Place, Canberra.

Other Common Terms Explained:

Who is an Affected Person?

For a Personal Protection Order a person against whom personal violence has been or is likely to be committed;

For a Workplace Protection Order, an affected person is a person against whom personal violence has been or is likely to be committed, being an employee, the employer or another person at the workplace.

Who is a Respondent?

The Respondent is a person against whom you seek a Personal Protection Order or a Workplace Protection Order

Who is a Protected Person?

A Protected Person is a person who is protected under a protection order.

I have received an application for an Order/I have been served with an Interim Order – What do I do?

You will have received a notice setting out the time and date that you are required to come to Court.

The matter will be set for a preliminary conference.

If you have been served with an Interim Order, if you agree to the Order being in place, you may complete the endorsement copy of the order that you have received and return it to Court.

If you do not agree to the application for a Personal Violence Order, you must attend Court on the date of the preliminary conference or be represented by a lawyer.    If you do not attend Court on this day, a final order may be made in your absence.

Going to Court

The ACT Magistrates Court is located at 4 Knowles Pl, Canberra ACT 2601

When you arrive at the ACT Magistrates Court, proceed to the counter.

The staff at the Court will be able to assist you with procedural advice.  If you are seeking legal advice, you may be directed to ACT Legal Aid.  ACT Legal Aid have an office at the ACT Magistrates Court and can assist you in completing your application.  You can contact ACT Legal Aid on (02) 6207 1874.

If you need urgent protection, you will need to advise the Court on the application form that you are seeking an interim order.

At the time you make an application you will be advised of a date for a preliminary conference.

Frequently Asked Questions