Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory
The Court’s Purpose
- To maintain and promote the rule of law
- To provide leadership within the justice system
The Court achieves its purpose :
- By delivering impartial, high quality and timely decisions
- By resolving each case by the process most suited to achieving a just, quick and effective outcome
- By ensuring transparent, easy and cost-effective access to the Court for all
- By communicating openly, clearly and respectfully
- By being accountable for the use of public resources
- By developing and applying best practice
Judicial Priorities for 2017/2018
- To review the operation of the new Court of Appeal rules.
- To review the Court’s alternative dispute resolution scheme and improve outcomes.
- As part of implementing the International Framework for Court Excellence, to undertake self-assessment and a user survey of the Court, and to start developing appropriate performance indicators for the Court.
- To transition smoothly to the new Supreme Court building and to develop the best methods of integration into the new physical environment.
- To finalise a proposal for a Drug and Alcohol Court and commence implementing the proposal.
- To develop protocols for undertaking Court processes by electronic means.
- To develop and implement a strategic plan to facilitate access to the Court for Indigenous peoples.